Tuesday, July 03, 2007

cohousing



I have never lived in a co-housingproject, but I like the ideals of it. Not sure about how it is in practice, but I think it has the potential to be amazing. Anyone out there who has lived in a co-housing project I'd love to hear from you.

I dont know tonnes about this, but I am learning. Here's the very basics of what I know...so: home ownership - when you buy a house, you own the house and the land it sits on (usually) Then there's condominiums - appartment style, town house style or even single family houses, the word "condomium" refers to the type of ownership - that you agree that you own a portion (usually inside the drywall) of the unit, and rest of the property and building is managed by a board and communal fees go to maintaining this. Mark and I live in a very nice townhouse condo.


Anyways, a co-housing project (I think) means that you own your unit but the shared amenities are much greater and you agree to participate in a more communal living lifestyle. You share things like a big kitchen, play areas for kids, and gathering spaces, but you also agree to particpate in the community. There are more projects in the US than in Canada... each project is unique, and I want to learn more about them....maybe one day I'll design one, or get to live in one...who knows.
Heres a bit more about co-housing, and some great projects down under (hint, hint..mark?)

No comments: