Thursday, September 13, 2007

Bittersweet



After reading this post about bittersweet parts of life, I thought Id post my own about the chocolate theory in Calgary...in September.

Well. firstly I need to tell you all (not that you actually want, or need to know) that the hat I have been making for Marcel... the first time I have followed a pattern, and also broken it... and even though its not ready to photograph...actually fit! This is a true joy in life...

Now, about that bitter sweet.

I like bitter chocolate.

The point Meg made about the chocolate is that it is the bitterness in the chocolate that makes it taste so much better or as she puts it "After all, it's the bitter that makes the chocolate rich, its flavor deep, and its delight lasting."

Well, what if theres not enough sweet to cut it? Thats my first reaction to her comment...and so I thought I must focus on some of the sweet in my life now, lest the bitterness become too powerful.

(first your probably wondering what the heck could be so bitter in my little life...and maybe I'll just indulge myself a little to let you all know that 1)its getting colder. 2)I am very tired of long winters, and short summers...because winter in Calgary means parking lots, a nausea caused my gas fumes and too much driving and a sense of hopeless loneliness and solitude 3) lack of the following: natural wood floors, (idiosyncratic...I know, but did you see the pics of Amanda's house?) freshly picked foods, lush foliage, ocean (or any body of water at all), pretty rooms, pretty places in general, time with good friends, crackling fires and brick rooms filled with history, good music, good books and a sense of quality and culture that comes only with age...

OK, so theres my beef. I live in Calgary, in a suburb where all is new but slightly dirty and most things are designed more for convenience than love, or beauty. And these things are killing my soul!!!!! (dramatic...well, yes!)

OK OK OK, enough bitter - gotta focus on the sweet...

1)my kid is the most beautiful thing in the world, especially when asleep, when he smiles, when he has a bath, when he is crying...OK you get the picture. 2) I love my husband...I'll spare you the details. 3) I have a good job, and we can pay our monthly bills, and have shelter and food...not always has been the case...4) the trees are turning yellow and that really is gorgeous.5) I have lots of dear friends that even though I see them less than I would like, I love them. 5) Our tomatoes are huge! 6) I have family near by and they are supportive and loving 7) did I mention that hat fits Marcel's head? 8) Oh, and I just discovered you can buy hand spun wool online for really reasonable...ooo, cant stand the excitement! 9) Im going to england in a week 10) I made a delicious split pea soup last night...

OK, I'll stop now. I feel much better. THanks. (the pic is by my father in Law you can see his website here....)


and the other one, is of course my most sweetest thing of all...

No comments: