Thursday, December 06, 2007

This cake is delicious



mix in a big bowl:

1 3/4 cup flour
1t Baking soda
1/2 t salt
1 t cinnamon
1 1/2 t nutmeg
1/4 t ginger
1/4 t cloves

cream together:
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
2 egg

combine the wet with the dry.

add after (mix'n'match):

1/2 cup walnuts
1/2 cup raisins
3/4 cup pureed pumpkin
3/4 cup grated zucchini
3/4 cup ground flax

bake 30 mins at 350 degrees C - 9x9 greased pan.

I call it "how to get your child to eat vegges, and get rid of all the vegetable left overs in your fridge - cake."I experimented with this cake. A lot. I tried many versions, especially trying to make one with whole wheat flour. (or spelt...or kamut...) It didnt work. For this cake you can get a way with very little sugar, lots of vegges, and have a beautifully textured moist cake...but you have to use the white flour. Unless you want a cake that no one will eat and will sit in the fridge till it dries out. (sorry.)

I didnt do too much experimenting with the sweetner - used plain old- the devil itself -white sugar. - but I did cut the amount in half, and half a cup, is not soooobad - is it?

And to make it all better I included all of the above additions in my last cake and it was amazing! You can mix and match yourself - or if you have any of last night's vegges in the fridge (squash, yams, carrots) just blend them with pleny of water to make a purree...thats what I do anyways. So easy, so economical, so delicious! (the zucchini I grated raw...)

And eat with ice cream for an extra treat!

PS - Thanks to Grandma for providing the "base recipe"!

No comments: