Wednesday, March 05, 2008

review: "The Walking Dead" Robert Kirkman, Toney Moore, Charlie Adlard.




*****WARNING-SPOILERS!!!*****


well, this review may be a little pointless seeing as "The Walking Dead" is already at like volume 7, and Im feeling pretty stellar that I've read to number three...but hey, we gotta start somewhere.
OK, so I have to admit I am not a zombie fan. I recognize their symbolism in pop culture and all that, but I CANNOT get over the gross factor. Its impossible for me. I am also an incredible scaredy cat and have a very vivid and visual imagination. Once I have seen an image it is in my brain for eternity, ready to pop up at any time, like falling asleep when at home alone, or walking home from the bus. All this means that I was very hesitant to start this series. After opening the first pages, and the first zombie I saw, my stomach squirmed and I had to close it, for like eight months. But what ever it took to re-open it, (like the hubby promising it would result in some meaningful conversations, and me, gullibly consenting) it was enough to get me through three volumes. Number four is on my night stand as we speak...

OK GOSH enough back-story already.

So, like I'll just give you my opinion...this is OK. Yup, just that. After all is said and done, I have a hard time really caring enough to open the next book. But as I said, Im a hard sell.

I like the soap opearie feel about the story, the cliff hangers, and yes the suspense. Its most effective in the first volume though, cuz in that one I just couldn't sleep after imagining that single mom asleep in her tent for a month, alone with a baby. This is enough to keep me up at night, and Im not even experiencing a zombie crisis.

One major complaint about the first issue is the coincidence factor. Totally ridiculous and I think just silly. There are so many ways that they could be reunited rather than just a chance that they both find the same living people. Too far fetched for me, and since its such an important part of the story it could have used a little more finesse.

Oh, well. As the story goes though I have to admit I am much less worried about the zombies and more worried about the people they meet. The prison for instance in volume three...creepy.

Oh, also the image of the suburbia they found and the people's total plain stupidity about the fact that the snow is melting and thinking they could just walk into any house and live a regular life. That was great. I love that image of this gated community, so peaceful from the outside and totally horrific inside. As the snow melts and sun comes up - the zombies rise. Thats actually pretty cool.

OK, just one more beef. I didnt follow the whole sequence at Hershel's farm. The bit where he opens the door to put the zombie in the barn and then all hell breaks loose. I read and re-read this cuz it seemed to be important, and I have a really hard time following most action sequences. Why were the young couple in the hay loft? Were they already in there? What were they doing? And on top of that why were the zombies by the door - they've been pretty stupid in the past, why did this one fall out of the door and hit Hershel in the head. Its all very vague, and seems unimportant, but I hate not knowing what went on...just saying.

Anyways, its an interesting read. Enough cliff hanger to get me to the next one, but Im not sure I'll get to issue 48. I think the writing keeps moving, and there's lots of new ideas and suspense in the plot, but Im still not really getting into any of the characters...and I guess, at this point, Im missing that. It reads like a HBO TV show - like a softer, toned down Keifer Sutherland's 24 mixed with a little more rotting flesh.

Hey, you'd probably like it.

No comments: