Monday, January 26, 2009

daylight



This is a symbol of a building section that uses passive daylighting (and heating as well). This is meant for a cold climate, where south facing windows with openings for ventilation make sense. You see diagrams like this in sustainable architecture books and this is a simplified version to represent those ideas...

Marcel has developed a rash on his chin. I have a hunch that it is caused by being run down and not eating properly. So I am making more effort to avoid foods with too much salt, sugar, dyes, MSG or preservatives. I really should do this all the time. I try to, but I feel like there's always something: friends offering a treat, I forgot to bring a snack, or somehow the idea of just getting M to eat takes priority over what he eats. But I am putting extra effort in. For lunch today I had a platter of various favorite healthy foods of Marcel's. I made effort to present it nicely and it went over well. The platter included a bowl of raw unsalted almonds, a bowl of prunes, feta cheese, apple and orange slices and I cut sushi Nori wraps into heart,square and circle shapes. That was a big hit. If you have a kid who will eat it, its really fun for them, a good snack and clean for bringing in the car. Many kids like it if introduced at a young age, also M loves "dulse" (available at superstore)which is naturally salty and very nutritious. (I cant eat it without gagging...but many kids love it!)

Little em is sick and teething. He is crying a lot at night and is inconsolable. I know he is in pain. I am giving homeopathy which has helped with the fever. I have started wearing him all day (and in the evening) and nursing almost constantly at night. Sigh....and so it begins!

But, our Monday is going well. The living room is clean, the dishes are done and I am actually getting a moment to blog.Also, at -16 C, the sun still shines through the kitchen window and warms my back. small pleasures!

1 comment:

tired of smiling said...

Oh, Angie!
Teething! R is teething, too. We haven't slept more than a couple of hours every night for the past 4 nights. She got 5+ teeth in the last 6 weeks. We finally got a good night's sleep last night, thankfully, and are now functioning again. Why am i telling you this?? I thought it was funny that they were both teething at the same time, and it doesn't seem like it at the time, but it will end. I'll post soon about a teething/notsleeping nightmare I had - I've never prayed so hard before in my life.
g.