Friday, August 08, 2008

No Great Mischief - Alistair Macleod


I just finished reading this book. I haven't read a novel since last year when I read "The Time Traveller's Wife". (which I enjoyed, but found a little too, I don't know...urban? hip? light? for me?) This book here was a real treat for myself. Lets just call it a "gift to mamma before baby comes and I can never read again..."
Anyways, I totally loved it. I have a thing for Canadian literature, especially books that are intense and driven by moods, the landscape, history and culture. I like all that moody isolation and quiet hardening of the soul, through long winters and through joys of life, that describes pretty much all the Canadian literature I have liked. (but I hate to experience! Winters in the Yukon and Calgary have pretty much done that to me...) The writing is rich with metaphor, images and concepts. I felt I could write a paper on every page...Now, for me...that's fun to read!
So, sad to say the book is done...If you read it let me know and we can chat about it...otherwise I am going to try and see if I can fit in an other book before baby - or maybe just finish the gloves I am making...we'll see...

No comments: